Crochet Flower Necklace

Does anyone else love all of the bright floral jewelry out there? I especially like the bold necklaces I've been seeing. Back in Spring, I decided I would give a try at crocheting my own. I spent a lot of time trying to find the perfect pattern. And, actually, I never found it. So, I designed my own. They are so simple and pretty. I may make some earrings, too. And, at least I have a little bit of Summer left to wear it this year.


Start with DMC floss in your favorite colors. I used white, bright blue, light green, green, pink, hot pink, yellow, orange, and purple. You will also need pearl beads, a chain, and a clasp. (or repurpose an old chain necklace you may have). Have handy your scissors, jewelry pliers, a sewing needle (small enough to thread the beads), and a small crochet hook (I used US C2/2.75 mm). 

Optional: I wanted my flowers to be stiff enough to stand up to wear. To achieve this, I immersed them in a mod podge and water solution and allowed them to dry.  If you want them to remain soft, this is not necessary, but they may not lay flat along the chain.


Abbreviations:
ch = chain
sl st = slip stitch
st = stitch
sc = single crochet
dc = double crochet
tr = triple crochet


Flower Pattern:
Use the entire set of 6 strands of your first color.
Round 1 - Ch 4, sl st into 1st ch to form a ring. Round 2 - Ch 1, work 9 sc into circle. Sl st to ch 1. Round 3 - *ch 3, dc in next sc, tc in same sc, dc in same sc. Ch 3,  sl in next sc*. Repeat sequence between *s until 5 petals are made with last ch 3 ending with a sl st into last sc.
Finish off.

Tie the ends together neatly on the back of the flower and weave in the ends.

Using 2 or 3 strands of matching thread, sew the pearl bead into the center of the flower.

These flowers were the perfect size for my necklace.  Play around with different hook sizes and numbers of petals for your own creations. You will need 2 sc in round 2 for each petal you wish to have on your flower. Adjust the round 1 ring as needed.
To stiffen the flowers, immerse them one at a time into a 1/2 water 1/2 mod podge solution and allow to dry on a piece of plastic wrap. I held each flower by the pearl while dipping them in the solution so the pearl would not be coated. I also used a paper towel to absorb the excess solution. I allowed them to dry overnight.

Next create the length of chain you want for the necklace and attach the clasp.

Lay out your flowers along the chain in your desired pattern, making sure each flower is either on the chain or touching another flower.  Sew the flowers to the chain or adjacent flower with 2 or 3 matching threads.

Here, you can see mine pinned from the back (although, not this was not my finished placement).
Then, wear it proudly! I love mine.
Such a cheery little addition to an outfit.





This post has been linked up with: This Gal Cooks, Fabric Bows and More, Positively Splendid, Six Sisters' Stuff, The 36th Avenue, One Artsy Mama, The DIY Showoff.

Comments

  1. This is sooo pretty! I LOVE to crochet, and the gorgeous colours in this really appealed to me ;) I've pinned it and am looking forward to giving it a go!

    Oh! And I'm also now following your blog :o) Crafty minds need to stick together right?

    Tash @ http://quirkycraftingshmooglebean.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'd love to see how yours turns out. Your website is great, so many cute things!

      Delete
    2. Oh thankyou!! :) I'll be sure to email you a link when I make one!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful statement necklace! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am such a sucker for your pretties and I love this necklace! Heck,I liked the shamrocks you made for St. Pats day such a caring touch. Mommy loves you!

      Delete
  3. This is such a beautiful necklace! I'd really like to try it! I'm your newest follower from the hop! I'd love for you to come visit sometime! I love bloggy friends! http://www.travisandjessicacox.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute! I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty! I can't believe you made it yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This necklace is GORGEOUS! I wish I had the patience to sit down to just learn how to crochet. Thanks for sharing. Love from you newest GFC follower, Whimsically Homemade.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one lovely necklace. It is so chic and colorful I can wear it at all times!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joey, this is aDORable! Such fun colors, and the flowers are so cute...I can see what you mean, it would match everything! So glad you shared at Shine on Fridays this week. I'm featuring you tomorrow on One Artsy Mama's Top 10 Thursday, be sure to stop by and grab a button if you like!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone! All of your sweet words mean a lot to me. I don't normally wear bold pieces like this, so I really stepped out of my comfort zone. But, I love it. If any of you make one, please send me pictures. I'd love to see and share your creations.

    And, Amy, I am so excited, thanks for featuring me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Te quedo fantastico, una pieza única felicidades!!!!
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there,
    I saw your cute idea on Tip Junkie and just had to pay you a visit. You have really explained it well and for that I say thank you!Not always the case but you have a great tutorial here. I am a new follower and would love for you to pay me a visit and follow along too. I am definitely going to learn how to do this and I love jewelry making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna. I really appreciate Your comment!

      Delete
  12. I love this necklace! It looks great. Thanks for sharing on Marvelous Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  13. New follower from the Blog Hop. I'd love to have you over at All My Love for All My Days.

    What a pretty necklace!

    ~Danette
    www.danettedillon.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for participating in the GFC Hop on ModaMama! I appreciate you linking up. Oh, and don't forget to follow your hosts.
    I look forward to getting to know you.

    Sincerely,
    Joanna
    www.ModaMamaBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! I crochet too but I've never been able to do small stitches like this! You did such a great job! Thanks for the tutorial!! Found you from the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the necklace. This is so cute!

    New follower from the GFC blog hop. Love to have you link up to Weekend Blog at At Home Take 2.

    Jessica
    http://www.athometake2.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this necklace and would like to give it a go, I'm just wondering what mod podge is? From the photo it looks like it could be PVA glue mixed with water, I think that dries clear? Can you enlighten me at all?
    Many thanks
    Dympna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe PVA glue is comparable to Mod Podge. Although, Mod Podge is permanent. Check the PVA you choose to be sure it is permanent.

      Delete
  18. thank you soo much .. Meemee

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing this great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I found this pattern from Allfreecrochet.com. Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial. Your flowers are so cute. I am working on making a ruffly flower statement necklace with embroidery floss and I used a pattern from the Crochet Spot to make earrings to match. I still have a lot of work to do on them but I have been pretty darn ill and in too much pain to crochet lately. Anyhoo, I am your newest follower :o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. How do I print out the pattern without all the other stuff that I don't need!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I copy & paste the pattern into Word, and then DELETE all the extra UNNEEDED stuff. Give it a name & save it in my Word program & print it when I am going to make it. You can always click Save Page to do later I think. (hope) LOL

      Delete
  22. I'm sorry, I don't have a printable version. You might try copying and past the text into something you can print from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I copy & paste the pattern into Word, and then DELETE all the extra UNNEEDED stuff. Give it a name & save it in my Word program & print it when I am going to make it. You can always click Save Page to do later I think. (hope) LOL

      Delete
  23. Lovely necklace!! I´ll give it a try! Thanks for the gorgeous tutorial! (by the way, I came here from Bunny Mummy) and like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for sharing your crochet flower necklace, I can hardly wait to make it! I like the color variations-you can wear it with so many different colors. The flowers make me think of sunshine and warm, breezy summer days.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Joey, Thanks for the directions and design ideas; I think the pearl in the middle of each flower, together with your arrangement, makes a beautiful spring/summer accessory. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can't figure out how only 5 petals are dispersed among the 5 sc??? Can anyone help? What am I missing? I love the finished necklace! PH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The 5 petals are worked into the 9 sc which were made into the ring formed from the beginning chain 4. Each petal uses 2 of the sc and the last finishes in the same stich as the first one began. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  27. Hi Joey, I just found your blog and am thrilled to see all the gorgeous crocheted necklaces which I'm going to make... Will come visit often dear. Blessings, Bevie

    ReplyDelete
  28. eshoppingbazar.co.uk provide the various and most wonderful material about rings. Here are Shop silver rings for engagements, wedding etc. Select your silver wedding ring or engagement ring from a collection of ladies silver jewellery rings at eshopping bazar. Here are available the best jewelry for example ladies rings, engagement rings, wedding rings, silver jewellery, ladies necklaces and ladies earrings.


    ReplyDelete
  29. Can the chain be made out of crochet... Will it give the same effect

    ReplyDelete
  30. Can the chain be made out of crochet... Will it give the same effect

    ReplyDelete
  31. Mini snowflakes would be a great necklace too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Joey, I made several of your flower necklaces. Haven't finished them yet as my chains and pearls just arrived today. The main thing (besides the fact that I love all your cute flowers) is that I took your pearl idea and ran with it. I make and donate Chemo hats. What a nice addition the pearls make to the hats. Some as flower centers, and others as decorations. I have a source for really cheap cultured fresh water pearls. Thank you for sharing! Jean in Arizona

    ReplyDelete
  33. We are Making high quality Products. Please do visit our siteLuxury Rigid Boxes

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts